Monday, August 1, 2011

You all asked... So I will answer

I have been getting numerous youtube message, formspring questions and twitter replies asking my thoughts on Melanie and why do I hate her, and why I think Caitlynn is so great, and all of this other crap.
First of all, I do not hate Melanie is the slightest way! She was my favorite coming out of auditions and into the top 20. She was my top fav from auditions all the way to the top 16. The only dancer I have ever "hated" (more like really strongly disliked) was Comfort, and that was only because she got eliminated and came back to competition and stayed a week over Kherington, who everyone should know by now, is my all time favorite.
So now, here is what changed my opinion on Melanie so much: the lack of diversity in the styles she has been receiving. I don't hold this against her personally because it is the show's fault, but it's just keeps me from liking her as much as everyone else. I don't think anyone in the shows history has received as many contemporary and jazzes as much as this girl has and people think she is some sort of goddess. Hell yeah she is a freaking goddess when it comes to her contemporary and jazz numbers, but as a dancer in general, I beg to differ. No one deserves that high of praise until you have mastered a krump (or a hard hitting hip hop will suffice) or a sexy latin ballroom (samba or cha cha), which Melanie has not done and the only person to have done this is Caitlynn. Jordan did ballroom very well, but those were waltzes and a rumba, both are not as challenging as mastering a Cha Cha or a Samba.
Some examples of goddesses in my eyes: Allison Holker, Katee Shean, Lauren Froderman, Chelsie Hightower, Kherington Payne, Jeanine Mason, Kayla Radomski, Kathryn McCormick, and as of right now Caitlynn, but I still need to see her murder a hip hop.
All dancers listed above had their style max of two times, maybe 3 if they made the top 4. All of them mastered a hard hitting hip hop (with exception of Katee) and spicy latin number.
Now after you think about that, do you still want to place Melanie in the category of a goddess? A contemporary goddess: hell yes, but that's it (so far).
So don't get me wrong. I think Melanie is a B-E-A-utiful dancer and so talented! But the hype is not justified until she get's a krump, hard-hitting hip hop, or a crazy hip shaking ballroom.

Now onto Caitlynn. Do I think Caitlynn is on the level of Kherington, Lauren Froderman etc, no. But what I think has been way overlooked is that Caitlynn has grown more than anyone on this show (with exception of maybe Marko and Tadd). Let me break it down (in all honesty): Top 20 Jazz- She killed it but was in the shadow of Robert. Top 18 Contemporary: Amazing but still in the shadow of everyone else. Top 16 Samba: Holy balls did they really just do that? But everyone forgot about them after Melanie and Marko's hip hop. Top 14 Contemporary: Oh hey, that Caitlynn girl is actually really good. Finally the performance that makes her a standout. Top 12 Hip Hop: Someone probably could have danced this a little bit better but the choreography sucked and we all know that. Top 12 Jazz: Amazingly danced but not memorable enough, but definitely a big improvement in her maturity and from her last contemporary. Top 10 Argentine Tango: Her most mature performance and people finally took her seriously. Top 8 Hip Hop: Underrated. So much better from her last hip hop but was in the shadow of Ivan. Top 8 Fox Trot: Graceful and elegant but nobody likes fox trot.
With exception of that horrid Christopher Scott hip hop, Caitlynn has killed everything but for some reason flied under the radar. Along with Marko, she has been the most challenged and has really gotten the most out of this show. I mean she has not been exposed to this kind of material EVER! Everyone left, except for Tadd, has danced with great choreographers in LA and New York and has the experience.
I think people need to get passed her smile and look at her dancing back again. She's incredible.

So that's that. Thanks for reading my novel :)